Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Big Red Van Cake





We are truly truly blessed.


Last Summer on a trip down to my parents house, alone with 8 children, our big blue van died completely. Things had gotten so hot under the hood, that it melted parts of the transmission and motor. It was going to cost way more to fix than the van was worth. So we gave it to the wreckers and called it a day. It was a bit sad, as we only had it for 18months and it cost us $10,500. I really don't feel like we got our money's worth, that's for sure.

So we had been dealing with only having Chris's truck that seats 5 and Peggy was nice enough to let us use her mini van whenever we needed. So if we wanted to take the whole family somewhere, we had to take 2 vehicles. There are a few trips down to my parents coming up and so we were starting to think of what we could do to get another vehicle that fit us all.

Our Bishop new we didn't have a family vehicle and he had talked to a brother in our ward, also in the bishopric. He had a 15 passenger van that they we no longer using. This family is so wonderful and they just gave us the van. What a blessing. And as if that wasn't miracle enough, another brother in our ward, did the mechanic report and the small amount of repairs for free. He even changed the oil for us. We just had to buy the parts that were needed. I already made an Easter cake for the guy that did the fixing, and a jello dessert. He and his sons have some major sweet teeth, so I knew they would love it. But I still wanted to do something for the family that gave us the van. How do you thank and repay someone for giving you a vehicle, and not just a vehicle, but one that fits us all and makes life a bit easier. Other than committing to being more award of the needs of people around me and helping where the Lord needs, there isn't much. But I do have a skill for cakes, so today I made a HUGE big red van cake as a giant yummy thank you. I hope they enjoy it.

4 comments:

Shamae (Ghost written by Loren her hubby) said...

I LOVE that cake! You are so talented! I made a box cake once that didn't turn out so I am very very impressed :D

Becca said...

You are such a sweet person Holly. What a blessing you are to everyone around you, I am so glad that people were given the opportunity to serve you for a change.

Enjoy your lovely van and your van cake looks YUMMY!

Cindy said...

Holly! What a wonderful talent you have! The only talent I have is ordering from the bakery!

caligirlinfl said...

Wow! you are talented! That cake looks great!