Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Forrest broke his foot

So yesterday we take Forrest to scouts. They were going sledding, I had my apprehensions about sending him, because 2 weeks ago Daisy got pretty badly injured while sledding for activity days. I am pretty sure sledding in the dark with a bunch of hyped up kids, isn't the best activity to do. Well I get a call from Chris at 8 and he says he doesn't know whether to puke or be mad. Turns out Forrest broke his foot. I will admit, we are pretty angry about the whole thing. Time and time again my children are getting hurt while at church activities and I am tired of dealing with ER visits or visits to the dentist, when we simply sent them to a church activity. So now I am torn between sending them because it is a church activity and they should go, or just stop sending them for awhile, as I am not convinced my kids are safe there at this time. We will see how things pan out. I just want my kids to be safe.
Chris and Forrest didn't get home last night until after 130am, from the ER. Forrest now has a cast, and I guess goes back in a week, where they take his cast off, re x-ray his foot, and then put a new cast on. I am assuming it is to make sure that things are where they should be and the bones are properly aligned so it can heal properly. He has to wear the cast for 6 weeks. Forrest has been in quite a bit of pain. I feel so sad for him. He is even saying he wishes he stayed home and didn't go sledding. It is hard to see your child in pain, especially when there isn't anything you can do. He will be sore for a few days, so I am keeping him home from school, at least until Monday.
I do have some pretty great Children, my girls went to spend their allowance at the mini mall 1/2 a block away and each of them on their own, bought Forrest a small gift or treat, he even got a couple get well cards from his sisters. All my kids are very thoughtful, I am very pleased. They have all been so nice to Forrest and happily get him a drink or whatever else he is needing, so that he doesn't have to get up and move around. I am sure in a couple days the pain will lessen and he will be more mobile on his crutches. Oh yeah, we now own a pair of crutches, so if anyone needs some in the future, you know who to call.
Forrest has been trying out for journal games. I guess it is a running thing, where they have groups of 6-8 kids and they each run 200 m one after another. They are going to be doing competitions with other schools in March. He has been working so hard, hoping to make one of the teams that they need. So he is a bit disappointed he can't continue with that. He was even getting up on his own 2 days a week and getting himself to school by 715am. He also thought he couldn't shower for 6 weeks, but I did inform him there are ways to get clean and keep a cast dry. LOL!!!! Life will be interesting getting him to school now. The kids all walk together, but with all the ice and snow I just can't send him in crutches. Hopefully my van will be getting fixed on Monday or Tuesday, but even then, I will be having to bundle up the little kids each morning so I can get Forrest to school. Luckily Chris gets off work in time to be able to pick him up after school.
So just another little bit of stress and drama added to our already stressful and crazy lives.
I am posting a few of the pictures Chris took with his cell phone while waiting in the ER.
Oh and one more thing, he is the first to break a bone. Not even Chris or I have ever broken a bone before. Yay Forrest!!!! Hopefully tomorrow he is feeling better.









at this point he is doped up on some pretty good drugs. LOL!! Chris said he talked non stop once they kicked in. hahaha!





4 comments:

Unknown said...

oh boy...thats a doozie!! Poor guy...so I have to wonder how exactly this happens. We havent had any broken bones at church activities but have had other situations. I guess we forget sometimes that church activity leaders are not always parenting/supervision/child experts!!! I wish they were though!! There have been times when I have wanted to ring some necks and say "WHAT THE H*** WERE YOU THINKING!!!!" I would be angry too if I were you. I honeslty dont know what I would do as far as keeping them home from activities etc...its a hard call to make. Did you read my post about the incident at my kids school? I am considering homeschooling and I actually had people comment that I should keep sending them to that school....like I said, hard call. I wonder sometimes if my kids are safe anywhere anymore!!

Abigail said...

Ouch! Poor Forrest.
I broke my tailbone at a church activity - skiing. After that our ward reevaluated the safety of activities. If you are in doubt about an activity's safety don't send your child. Talk your bishop and express your concern. You might discover that a lot of people plan activites without even checking what the handbook says about it.

Mel said...

Holly, I am so sorry that Forest broke his foot. This was Dave's second time only doing the activities. All the other groups had gone sledding and the boys begged Dave to go. He is new, and no he doesn't know all the rules for the 11 years olds yet. Please do not let this sway you from sending Forest to activities. Dave is a wonderful scout leader, he worked with the Deacons for almost three years. They didn't want to release him because he did such a good job. Dave loves those boys and he feels horrible. It was an acident. I really hope you arn't still angry. Forest will be missed if he stops comming.

Sarah (: said...

Oh no! I hope he's doing better now.
I've been sledding for mututal before and I didn't break or sprain anything but it hurt.
I did sprain my wrist at a church activity though but that's a different story for a different day.
I love his cast!!