Friday, April 9, 2010

Bathroom Fire

Well I decided 2010 was going to be good to me. I even said on my facebook status that I am drop kicking 2010 before it has a chance to get to me first. Well hahaha was I very wrong. On January 6th, I was around the corner from my bedroom and Owen came out of my room and saw me and said that Calliope lite a match on fire. I said no she didn't you did, then I saw him hang his head down and heard Calliope scream. It was such a terrifying scream that I ran and opened my bedroom door and saw flames coming out of the bathroom. Poor Calliope was trapped in the bathroom. I opened the door up more and placed a towel onto of the fire and them was able to get her out. Then I turned on the tap and started dumping water on it to see if it would work, I realized real quick I would need larger amounts of water at a time. So I ran to the kitchen grabbed the 4L pitcher I just washed filled it half way with water, ran back to the bathroom and dumped it. I did this several times, once I had things under control I opened the window and sent Owen and Calliope down stairs. A few more dumps of water and then it was out. Ezra was fast asleep in his bedroom and even with the fire alarm going right outside his door, he never woke. I opened all the windows in the house then called Chris and started crying so much he could barely understand me. He did get that there had been a fire and I had gotten Calliope out but didn't catch how bad it really was. We had a garbage bag in our bathroom full of papers and garbage from our room, I had cleaned it the day before and Chris added a ton of shredded paper on top and just put it in the bathroom when we went to bed. Owen found matched and lite on and it dropped, right on the shredded paper, instant fire. I probably should have grabbed the kids and called 911, but something in me said to try to get it out first. I was ready to run with the kids at any second, if I was unable to control it on my own. That's why I didn't send them downstairs and away from the smoke until then. I did open my bedroom window before the fire was out so lots of the smoke went out there. Chris said he could smell the smoke when he pulled up and the fire had been out for a good 40 minutes at that point. For days I panicked over what could have happened. I came way too close to having to grab the two boys and leave my little girl behind. What if I had been downstairs switching laundry? In fact, that day had been the first day in a few weeks that I had absolutely no laundry to put through. I am so greatful it didn't end up being a horrible out come. Calliope is still afraid of fire to this day and even when we light candles for birthday cakes, she freaks and we have to talk her through it and let her know it is ok.

A very tiny bathroom to be trapped in.

the mess afterward



melted lino



the only human damage, a tiny burn on the bottom of my foot.



after the clean up



1 comment:

Lynn said...

Oh my gosh Holly! I am SO glad everyone is okay. How scary!!!!!