Monday, September 22, 2008

Cake makes everyone feel better.....right?

I am not sure what it means, or if it is a good thing, that when I think I need to do something for someone, I think of making a cake. There is this wonderful family from Mexico that we know living here in Stony Plain. There is the mom, the dad, and 2 brothers and 2 sisters, the oldest brother is married and his wife is here too. The oldest brother and his wife were worried about getting pregnant and having a baby in Canada until Chris and I reassured them it is very good having a baby here and she would be well taken care of. Well she recently went into the ER and then transferred to an Edmonton hospital. She was just a few weeks along and had a miscarriage. Chris spent a long time at the hospital translating for them and the doctors. Knowing the pains of miscarriage, both Chris and I feel so bad for them. They don't speak much English and they are in a strange country it must have been so scary for Betty, not to mention the rest of the family. So I just feel like there must be something we can do for them, anything, there has to be something. My brain is just searching for an idea. And then, I finally had it. A cake!!! I can make a cake. Cake is good, right, it makes everything feel better.... right? hmmmm well probably not, but I can make a cake and hopefully it will make her smile and feel a bit better, if even for a short moment. So I spent Wednesday morning last week making a super tall cake, and as you can tell in the pictures, it started to slope to one side because of all the weight. Chris picked up some flowers and when I was done the cake we dropped everything off and visited for a bit. Well Chris did the talking, I am the only one who can't speak Spanish. I really really need to learn Spanish. Anyways, so here are some pictures. I did white cake, chocolate cake, white cake, chocolate cake layers. It was pretty tall.





5 comments:

Shamae (Ghost written by Loren her hubby) said...

It's beautiful Holly! Cakes do make everything better. You can make me a cake anytime! ;) I sure hope this family can find some peace. That is a difficult situation.

irbuanosraL said...

Cake looks great and very lovely, sorry about that family though.

Karen said...

What a beautiful cake! You outdo yourself every time, Holly. I hope things are ok for that couple... thank goodness they have friends like you & Chris!

periwinkle4 said...

you're so sweet! I think cake makes things better! I hope the family can find peace. You and Chris are awesome!

Unknown said...

oh, I want to jump right through my computer screen and EAT that CAKE!!!!! It looks delicious. I wish you lived here so you could make me cakes.