Friday, September 12, 2008

School bully's

One thing I am angered about is school bully's. My three older girls are all getting bullied. I had told them the first week to tell the teachers when it happens and if it is still continuing in a week then I would get involved. Well I had to get involved. I wrote a note to the teacher today. Abigail (grade4) and Daisy (grade 5) are both being bullied by the same grade 5er girl named Jessica. She punches then and pushes and hits, gives dirty looks and pretty much is super mean. Also Abigail and Lynnette (grade 4) have a class mate (Skyla) that is pestering them. More so Abigail. So I send the note and wait. I get a note after school saying that the grade 5 teachers had a meeting with all my girls and the grade 5 bully girl. It was told to me that Abigail said that she wasn't sure if it was Jessica and she thought maybe it was an accident. Also Daisy backed down a bit. Jessica of coarse denied it all, and was starting to "fake" (Abigail's) words. And she even told the teachers that Forrest, my oldest (grade 6) pushed her. BLAH!!! Turns out Forrest accidentally bumped into her and she said sorry. grrr to the bully's. So pretty much my girls were very intimidated by their bully being in the room, so they backed down. The note back to me said they would keep their eye out for things. Also Lynnette is no longer sitting by Skyla. Abigail is very emotional lately and stressed over this. And she is worried she will get hurt even more, that's why she backed down. So I called the school and talked to the vise principal. as I was at a lose of what to do next. I was feeling like nothing was solved and my poor girls were still afraid to go to school, and even a bit more than before. Oh man the vise principal was awesome. He told me he was going to pull Jessica into his office on Monday morning and talk to her. He was going to call her mom as soon as he got off the phone with me so she new what was going on. he also understood completely how my girls would feel intimidated by that meeting and expressed how he takes this stuff very serious and he wants my girls (and all children) to be happy at school and feel safe. If the problem continues I am to call him again. I feel so much better. I then talked to my girls about the importance of not backing down like they had, even if they are scared. Also that they need to tell even if the girls are threatening them if they tell. Also with Skyla the class bully, she has been suspended from school before and is just not a nice kids at all. Abigail was still afraid Skyla was going to be hurting her still. So I talked to them about sticking up for each other and being each others witnesses. Abigail and Lynnette are in the same class, so from now on Lynnette is going to watch out for Skyla when the teacher leaves and if she hurts Abigail, she can be a witness for her if Skyla denies it when Abigail tells. And if Abigail is too scared to tell, Lynnette will do the telling. Lynnette is also going to get a few classmates to be in on the witnessing and they are all going to stick up for each other and witness for each other when this girl bully's them. I also told them that they can have a secret game called avoid Skyla and avoid Jessica. And they can make a game out of keeping themselves safe a recess and stuff. I really hope things get taken care of now, at the beginning of the school year. I am really almost outraged that these girls have been physically harming my girls for the first two weeks of school and I tell you things better change. Next time I will be going down tot he office in person and make sure things are totally taken care of, though I do feel the vise principal will be taking care of things and that the talk I had with my girls will help them too, so that,me going down to the school will be unnecessary.

3 comments:

Karen said...

It sounds like you handled things perfectly; that is one thing I cannot stand, bullying at school. Thank goodness for parents like you who aren't afraid to take action instead of saying "kids will be kids"....

Unknown said...

I agree. You handled it great. My oldest son had a problem with a bully last year. He was getting thrown up against his locker and punched in the face. Luckily the boy in question was suspended and the bullying stopped. I think one of the worst things for a parent is finding out about their child being physically harmed by others.I would have taken on any amount of pain myself for my son not to be hurt like that and you probably feel the same with your kids. Parenting is heartbreaking sometimes.

Shamae (Ghost written by Loren her hubby) said...

Sounds like you handled things well. Let me know what happens next. Kids can be so mean. Makes me mad too.