Monday, May 25, 2009

Palmyra NY

After Tate and Felisha's reception, we drove all night to get them to the airport in Buffalo by 4am, then we continued on to Palmyra NY. We stopped along the way to nap a bit. I seriously took hundreds of pictures on my trip, so sadly I am only able to share a few here. We walked through the sacred grove, toured through the Smith home, both the older one and the newer one. Went to the printing press where the book of Mormon was printed and saw what a huge task that was to get those first 5000 copies made. And mom and dad did some initiatory work in the Palmyra temple,while I took a nap with Ezra in the van. We were planning on doing a session, but they don't rent temple clothes there, so we were out of luck. Oh yes and we went to the visitors center that's next to the Hill Cumorah. We did a stop by the Harris farm, but couldn't tour the home as it is a private residence now. I loved being in Palmyra. Definitely a testimony strengthener.



mom, dad, Ezra and me in the Sacred Grove

me and Ezra in the Sacred Grove

look at how the branch is attached on the top and bottom

Hill Cumorah visitors center.

Some of the equipment used to make the Book of Mormon

more equipment for making the Book of Mormon

Smith home (replica, exact location however. They even have the inside furnished exactly how Emma had it. They said that her journal was very detailed so that how they know exactly what was in the home and where it was located.) I did take inside pics, but won't post them here. I also took inside pics of the newer Smith home much bigger, but forgot to take an outside picture.

On the Smith far with the Palmyra Temple in the background.

A snail I saw crossing the path on the Smith farm. very cool to see it trucking along.

2 comments:

Abigail said...

I've always wanted to go here. I guess I'll just have to live through your experience. Thanks for the great update on your adventures with Owen. He is so cute, by the way.

Heather said...

Oh isn't the Sacred Grove just SO beautiful and peaceful? I would've loved to have seen the Palmyra Temple, but it wasn't there back when I went!