Tuesday, September 21, 2010

6:30 am wake-up call

I went to bed late, the night of Friday, September 10th. I was busy trying to get both Zipporah and Syndey's baptism dresses made. I make dresses for my girls to be baptized in, I like my girls to be baptised in dresses and not the jumper suit thing they provide. Then each girl has a dress to keep to have her girls wear for their baptisms if they like. I didn't get quite done, as making two dresses is more work than making one. I think I started them Tuesday and worked a bit each evening on them. I went to bed and decided I would wake up a bit early and finish up the dresses and hopefully be done them before the baptisms at 1230 pm on the 11th. Well, there hardly is ever a need to set an alarm in this house, as someone always comes into my room by 7am if not earlier. So here it is, 630am, Chris and I were both abruptly woken out of our sleep by a loud crashing noise. We both startled up and looked at each other. "what was that" I said. "Not sure" says Chris, "it's probably just some pots and pans". We both get up to check things out. Chris stops in the bathroom first, this is when we discovered what the noise was.



That's our bathroom mirror, all shattered to pieces. So glad no kids were in the bathroom when it happened.

oh man, glass in the tub too. It chipped the tub in two different places, so glad no child was in there bathing.

the wall where the mirror used to hang

The glass was really thick glass too, so could have done a lot of damage to a person, easily

I originally thought that the wire connected to the back must have snapped and that's why it fell, since I could see it was snapped, but upon further investigation, you know CSI agent Holly on the case, that isn't what happened. The mirror was being held up by two hook, the kind that are nailed into the wall by small brass nails, that the wire was hanging on to. Well the nail on the left side (if looking at the mirror) tore down the wall. The hook and the nail are still in 100% good condition, but the wall it torn about 3 inches. CRAZY!!! And the night before there was no sign whatsoever that the mirror was in any danger of falling, wasn't tilted or anything.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

YIKES!!!! Truly a blessing that no one was in there at the time. This story reminds me of when we were on our way to a cheerleading tournament. I had brought a long a full length mirror from my room for our squad to use in the temporary change room at the school (a classroom). On the way there, my dad who was driving was hit T-bone (it was complete fog). Someone hit us good. Thank goodness no seat belt laws were in effect at the time. Because for once it was a good thing I wasn't seatbelted in. With the driver's side being hit, it through me to the left against my dad's side. And the mirror I had been holding went straight forward and shattered against the dash board. There were huge chunks of thick glass sticking out from the dashboard. If I had gone forward, I would have hit the glass straight on with my chest. Still creeps me out to think about it to this day.

Glad you took pictures. Hopefully your landlords will be able to take care of that for you.

Holly Jo said...

oh wow!! that is a very creepy story.