Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Job interview

Today I had my first job interview in over 15 years. YIKES!!! Sadly life has gotten to the point where both Chris and I are needing to work. I had always planned on going back to work once my youngest was in school, just like part time or something. Right now my youngest is 20 months, so a few years early. But I have an amazing family and my sister in law, Felisha, will be watching the younger kids and my mom and sister, Livi, have said they would help out where ever I need. I applied for a "Education Assistant in the Culinary Arts" for the Raymond High School. Mom happened across it one Friday in the local weekly paper, which I never really read. The dead line to apply was the following Monday at noon. Livi and her husband Jim helped me make my resume awesome and Jim wrote up a cover letter that is fantastic, Sunday night, and got it emailed out at midnight! Monday morning Jim decided it might be nice if we could get a copy to Cardston in person. So after calling and leaving messages, my dad got a hold of me at 11am and I ran to my brother Kipp's and printed everything out, with a quick stop at Livi's for a big envelope she wrote the address on and met my dad in Welling at 1120am. He made it to the office in Cardston at 11:55am!! WOOHOO!!! Took major family team work, but it got done. I got a call the Friday following to come in for an interview, Tuesday the 28th at 9am. YAY!!!! I made a sad attempt at buying something that would be good for an interview. I am queen of frumpy moms, and though I quite like my relaxed, easy, comfy, frumpiness, it is not appropriate for an interview or work place. Luckily my parents are awesome!! My mom came over Monday morning to see what I had and decided she needed to take me shopping LOL!! So int he end we returned what I had gotten and she bought me about $400 worth of clothes. She said I need stuff for when I get the job, and she is right. My parents are not wealthy and I know this is a sacrifice for them and I appreciate it more than I can express. I never in a million years would have done this for myself. In fact I never have tried on as many clothes in my whole life as I did in one afternoon. But we found some great stuff and I felt really confident going into the interview, because I new I looked good and put together. Oh I should also mention, dad gave me a blessing Sunday night. The interview went really well I think. There were 6 people in the room interviewing me eeek!!! The interview ended up being for 2 jobs. Both Raymond and Magrath are needing to fill the same position, so they did all the interviewing together and asked me if I would be open to a job in Magrath as well, which I said yes. Both schools are looking to really grow the culinary programs and with my education and work experience background, I know I can really help in that growth. And they are looking for someone to help make it fun for the kids, but still where they are learning and getting stuff done, and I know I can do that as well. I just hope I was able to show them my personality and who I am in that 20 minute or so interview. From growing up in Raymond, I new 2 people interviewing, so it made me more relaxed I think, though thanks to the priesthood blessing I am sure, I wasn't nervous, just really hoping I was answering their questions good and was able to get my answers out the way I wanted. I will know by noon tomorrow at the latest if I got one of the jobs or not. I am sure praying for the job. If I have to go to work, which I do, this is the ideal job. The hours match my kids at school and it is in the culinary arts, where I am very comfortable.



So here is a sample of the clothes I got, the clothes I wore to the interview. Firstly, my shoes. My kids were laughing adn so excited I now own high heels. Wedge heels I think they are called. I got two pairs of shoes, these are the ones I wore to my interview.












this picture isn't that great, as I was in a hurry to get going and my camera was acting up for some reason, but you can see my outfit none the less.

and this is me after I got home!! hahaha


Oh and I should note how funny I think it is, that I was going to an interview to present who I am to them, but I was wearing clothes like I haven't ever owned before, high heeled shoes which I never wear and painted toe nails, and a borrowed purse!!! LOL!!! Oh and I got my hair cut and styled by my neighbour hair dresser Carrie, something else I never do. Oh well, I think I like wearing nice clothes after all. I may have to clothes shop for me more often.


So hopefully my next post will be self taken pictures of a super happy mommy who just got a job!!!!

1 comment:

Lynn said...

Oo la la!!!! I LOVE it! You look awesome! I bet you rocked the interview. You know me....I have a passion for fashion. Thank goodness I don't have any money.....cause it would be gone anyway. LOL! But seriously, I always have fun with the hand me downs I get from others.

P.S. Your family is super supportive. I am so glad you moved back closer to them. Here's hoping (crossed fingers) that you get the job! Keep us posted.